Thursday, June 24, 2010

a few new works and a collaboration.

I've been making a little art in our hot garage. I'm not sure what I'm thinking working with hot wax out there these 95 degree days...but nonetheless....here they are. You can kind of tell I've got homes and nesting on the brain. Its all I'm looking forward to these last few weeks before we move to Indianapolis. I'm sending all of these down to shopSCAD tomorrow. xo
{This piece is actually a collaborative work between me and a little wren that had taken up nest in a flower pot right outside my window. It was amazing to me watch this busy bird working so hard day after day! I'd never had such a front row seat to a real nest building. Sadly, he (i think) abandoned it one day. I think there was a tussle with another bird or crow as I came home to find it all scattered about.  I was so sad waiting day after day to see if he would return. Weeks past and there was no sign  of him, so I collected up the remnants and added to his handiwork.}




Mixed media: vintage papers, ephemera, beeswax, wood construction.
Katie Runnels 2010- available soon at shopSCAD. 
xo

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are lovely, the beeswax adds such a beautiful, original finish to them :)

outofthedark said...

you are amazing.
i love your new pieces, katie.
did you find a new house?

Pamela said...

love it when the Katie makes the encaustics!
So pretty...love your ephemera collages so much!
love you!
xo

blue moss said...

it's been so crazy hot, hasn't it??? but they are so beautiful!!!
i hope your move goes well!!
take care
m

Barbara Bechtel said...

I'm loving these Katie! Good luck with your move! Hasn't this heat been awful. I've been working in the hot garage too so I can sympathize. I love the collaboration piece! It's my favorite!

lily pottery said...

hi friend!!! i hope all is well! i just want to say i'm FREAKING out about your new work!!! SO FABULOUS!
you got it going on, girl!
xo-lily

Kari said...

BEAUTIFUL work, Katie!! So fun to see what you've been up to. Really love these:)
Happy Summer!!
Kari

Vintage Fairy Tales Rebecka said...

Well done in the heat;)
Love your new work!
XX
Becky

Kipper Millsap said...

Eeeeek! I can't wait!

Kateyed said...

Love your house encaustics...dreamy!

Apron Thrift Girl said...

These are beautiful. I can't wait to start working with hot wax. Hopefully this summer.

Mrs H.H said...

Love the bird nest and vintage prints. I want to find out more about this wax finish, it looks good.

Unknown said...

It is hot Hot HOt HOT here in France too and the thought of hot wax is just too much; bravo you; nice work thanks...