Friday, January 28, 2011

home sweet story

So....did I ever mention that my husband and I finally found a house and moved in late October? That's the main reason why I've been seriously awol around here. Here are some pretty photos that originally sold us on the house...they are the ones from the real estate listing and taken last spring (probably). We were so happy and blessed to find an older mid-century home that was solid and in need of only cosmetic updates.
This house was built for a family in 1963 and we found the blueprints that were drawn up in 1957. Lots of pretty rock all around and my favorite... huge floor to ceiling windows along the back.
The house is tucked away sideways or perpendicular to the street.
Not much of a back yard...but a slope and lots of beautiful trees! It feels like living high in our own bird's nest.
Here it is all nice and open and warm...and styled by someone to appeal to buyers!
Where you'll find us most evenings during these cold snowy days. So that was the view then,
and this is now...
brrrr....we've had a record snowfall this winter here in Indianapolis.
Why, it snowed last night and I think it will again this weekend!
This view from the porch off our bedroom has stayed pretty much the same for the last few weeks.

The only room I have fairly completed and feel comfy baring to the world is the living room nook...
Its so nice to have our things out of boxes! Hopefully, I'll get my act together and have more to show you soon. This weekend I hope to tackle the bedroom...we are still on a mattress on the floor. Not so romantic or cozy after three months! My basement studio is almost together too(Thanks to my Father-in-law, Thank you, FRed!)...now just looking for a great space heater to make it bearable during these frigid months. 

I hope you are well too! I've been checking in here and there trying to keep up but haven't felt the itch to post like I used to! So much on the web anymore...I think I'm coming to realize this blog may need to be more about my process of hunting/gathering and artmaking, and featuring more of my artwork than that of others. Although, I fall hard for so many of you incredibly talented folks out there so there's no way I won't still feature others from time to time. Anyhoo, that's all my wash for now. Have a great weekend! xox

20 comments:

Jenn Ski said...

looks great so far! Can't wait to see more :)

Heidi Jo said...

oh my! congratulations! I love the open floor plan and all the rock. How fun it will be to decorate!

Patrice said...

Wow! Enjoy...

jen storer said...

Just lovely katie. Can i say your new house puts me in mind of the Brady Bunch house? Not sure why. A wonderful project for us to follow. Thanks! jx

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

what a gorgeous house. i'm on the hunt for new digs at the moment and would love something like this. looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

andrea creates said...

it looks really beautiful! all the trees and big windows-very nice :)

tera @ elgin eco-house said...

katie, i'd read your blog everyday if it were only pictures of your house, as the rooms unfold. your living room nook is adorable! i i wish you could come "katie up" my house. you and amy are still my inspiration.

stay warm. my guess is you will enjoy the coming of spring in a deeper way than I will.

gina said...

congratulations! it looks like a wonderful place...and the living room looks great, can't wait to see the rest of it :)

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Love the house!! And love how you've decorated! Nice work=)!!
Hollie

Anonymous said...

So beautiful...I love it you finally have your nest!!!
Mimi

Bonnie said...

Just as soon as that first jonquil pokes thru call me and I'm on my way! I'll be in your back sunroom if you need me. Cannot wait.
Nest is looking really good.
xoxooxo
m

kara said...

Hey Katie!
House looks beautiful! Glad you finally found one :)
I hope that you are enjoying Indiana and all the mounds of snow that have come this year- good luck with all the new creativity that will come with the new surroundings and I will keep checking back on you!
Best!
Kara (phillips) Kopp

the teacup incident said...

Pretty house! Its a wonder you have any energy to blog at all while settling in. Would love to see more of your house, art, design work.

shopSCAD said...

I want to be sitting right next to Bonnie in the sunroom please! This looks great Katie. Thanks for sharing--the studio pic makes me so happy! I agree the blog may need to be more about you- ok- I want it to be ALL about you! Don't overthink it- just take a pic of what you love because I bet we will love it too and be glad you shared it. Nuff said. XO Amy Z

O. said...

wow, what a beautiful house

eli kiessling graf said...

Hey Kate,
it is great, to see your wunderfull house even in Germany. I guess in spring there will be a lot of birds...
Say hello to Jon and Fred.

Elisabeth

Kim Taylor Kruse said...

Oh Katie, congratulations on finding such a sweet little mid-mod home! I love what you've done with the living room nook and look forward to seeing what you do to add your touch to the rest of the house. I'm sure it will be lovely, given your impeccable taste.

Unknown said...

My favorite home style! I love all the windows in the back!

Mrs. M said...

It looks gorgeous, Katie! Congratulations! Allie

LindaLou said...

Oh, Katie- love the mid-century "mo-derne", thanks for sharing. You are soooo gonna love spring there! Happy decorating!